Best tips to protect your business from cyber attacks
Canadians and entrepreneurs are increasingly dependent on the Internet for their daily business. With COVID-19, this trend has accelerated to allow Canadians to work, shop and socialize remotely in accordance with physical distancing guidelines issued by public health.
This comes with its share of challenges for Canadian businesses, which are significantly more vulnerable to cyberattacks. In fact, cyber attacks have increased by more than 400% since COVID-19.
And did you know that 95% of cybersecurity breaches are caused by human error? This number is hard to digest, but it is also good news. This means that these flaws could have been avoided simply by training your employees in cybersecurity.
Here are 5 tips to teach your employees to protect your business from cyber attacks:
- Be on the lookout for scams. Do not open emails from recipients you do not recognize and contact your IT team if you are unsure.
- Secure your social networks and email accounts to limit the risk of losing access to your accounts. Cyber attacks have gotten more and more ingenious, so you have to be even more careful.
- Get updates on your mobile devices, computers and apps. These updates contain security improvements, so it’s important to follow the instructions on your devices.
- Save your data securely and learn backup procedures. Your employer probably has a secure server where you can save your records. Otherwise, ask your manager what action you need to take with sensitive information.
- Practice good password etiquette by changing your passwords regularly, especially on the accounts you use at work, as well as your email and social media addresses.
Did you know that In-Sec-M is the digital center of excellence specializing in cybersecurity? Moreover, our programs carried out in partnership with the National Research Council of Canada (NRC) aim to support SMEs in order to reduce the impacts of cyber attacks to enable them to be more competitive on national and international markets. We offer qualified SMEs personalized support in the form of consulting interventions.